Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2011

Chock Full (Vegan) Chocolate Chip Cookies

I love it when the weather is cooler.  I have always been a big fan of fall.  I have always despised summer.  I am thrilled summer is coming to a close and fall is upon us.  I can't wait for the changing leaves, apple cider, Halloween, Thanksgiving and all of the other joys that come with this time of year.

One of the things I don't do very often in summer, due to lack of air conditioning in my home, is bake.  I really like to bake.  I wanted to make bread today, but didn't have quite enough time to do so, since I worked a few hours today.  (It was kinda fun at work, we cleaned out the main toy closet and ORGANIZED everything. That makes me and my type A personality happy!)  So, since I didn't have time for bread baking, I wanted to make something.  Chocolate Chip cookies was the obvious substitution.  Easy, relatively fast and oh, so yummy!

While I haven't been adhering to a strict Vegan diet lately (I really should get back to it), I still try to avoid using milk and eggs.  So, I hit the cookbooks to find a recipe for Vegan Choc. Chip cookies.  One recipe intrigued me, but I had to do a little 'adjusting.'  The recipe below is my adaptation and I must say I LOVE THESE COOKIES!  They are a little bit crispy, cake-like and full of goodies.  Chocolate chips were just a starting point.  What this evolved into was soooooooo good!

April's Chock Full (Vegan) Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup flour (preferably unbleached white flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup applesauce (I used chunky applesauce because that's what I like.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup Vegan Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup (or a tad more) dried cranberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Mix flour, baking soda, and cinnamon until well blended in a small bowl.  Set aside.  Mix sugar, applesauce and vanilla until blended in a larger bowl.  Add dry ingredients to the applesauce mixture.  Mix until a soft, solid dough is formed.  Add chocolate chips and cranberries.
Drop by rounded teaspoon onto an un-greased baking sheet.  Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on the top.  Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on a cooling rack.  ENJOY!

(One of my favorite things about vegan baking is you don't have to worry about sampling the dough-NO EGG!  I wouldn't encourage you to eat tons of it as it will probably lay heavy in your stomach, but a sample or two is not out of the question!)

Below you will find a few photos of my baking adventure.  They're all the pictures I got today.  Between work and the fact that my lips started to swell within five minutes of leaving the house, my hope for taking a walk/hike today was ruined.  Maybe in another month I'll be able to enjoy being outdoors.

In other sad news, tomorrow is the day of the run I had planned to go to in Columbus.  I had hoped that 7 weeks of training would have gotten me somewhat in shape to complete the 5k but, because of my knee and allergies, I had to put that hope away too.  Now I am just fat and lazy and miserable.  Ick!  I need to start working out again.  I only have another week and a half before I go see the orthopedist, so hopefully after that he'll release me to start up my workouts again, this time with some tips and a plan to prevent further damage to my bones!


Okay, sorry for my deluge of misery and whining.  I'll try to be positive.  Anyway, enjoy the photos below and have a happy Sunday!!!

The only type of applesauce I buy.  I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to applesauce.  It is a major staple in my diet and currently I will only eat two kinds of applesauce, Musselman's and the stuff I make myself.  I'll have more on my recipe for applesauce as we venture further into fall.  It is really yummy and pretty simple to make.

My preferred brand of chocolate chips.  Vegan and mini, a wonderful combination.

The dough.


Large teaspoons full on the baking sheet, ready to be baked.

Look at that golden brown color.  Yum, yum!

You can see how many chips get in each cookie as well as the cranberries.

Lots of chocolatey goodness.

The recipe made a dozen and a half good sized cookies. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment